The sketches for my Touch allegory project.
First one, I tried to do a literal translation. I quickly realized that wasn't gonna work for me.
...so I went nuts. still, there was something off. (I may turn this sketch into a digital piece, I still kinda like it.)
and here's the winning sketch:
Tom made me change the whale, or rather said to make more 'sense' out of it. so I made him a pterodactyl. I still like the sketch better than the final, though.
In the end, it's okay. I made a TON of mistakes along the way, but I'll take it for what it is. I wish I had taken progress shots of it, because the ink b&w was WAY better. it had a cool drybrush thing goin' on. but what's done is done, and this project was a HUGE learning experience.
the dA link, with the original allegorical text.
...so my class with the feared Tom Woodruff is at an end. It was one of the most challenging experiences I've had, but I learned so much about myself and my art, and about appreciating other art forms. The chair of our department is feared by most in the cartooning department, but it's really unjustified. Tom's class was the most fun I've had working so hard in a really long time. I'd love to take it again if I had the chance, I'm gonna miss having a class with him so much. <3