Friday, January 9, 2009

tattooed beauty lines

I have just recently developed a great appreciation for the beauty of tattoos. They are the ultimate form of expression, and if done right, can be meaningful, elegant, and illustrative.

this is an image I am working on:I am about to watercolor it, but I wanted to ensure I had a copy of the linework in case things went awry. watercolor is a very unforgivable medium like that. ^__^;;

here's the watercolor-in-progress:


I kinda like it just how it is now, but I'm gonna work into the tattoos more...I originally had a random background idea, but I think I kinda just like keeping it white...hmm...

For a few years now, I've been wanting this certain tattoo. I am nearing a time where I am finally planning to actually get it, so I did this mock-up of what it would look like and where, etc.

it is the cover to Anne McCaffrey's Dragons of Pern series, Dragonflight, but mainly it is incredibly meaningful to me. It is in honor of my father who passed away around a year and a half ago, it was our favorite series and is a constant source of inspiration. Every time I saw him, he would ask, "so when are you gonna draw me my golden dragon?" and I never got a chance to before he passed. on the day of his funeral, I drew it for him, and it now rests with him in heaven. I've drawn one for him every year, and for this second year I want to get this. It is such a beautiful painting, and the composition is perfect. I think it is a fitting tribute. <3

1 comment:

Kim said...

Now I know why you liked that character in Kalonice so much!

That tattoo is gorgeous. Pretty big, but absolutely gorgeous. I love how the wing comes all the way up the neck.

Your watercolor work is amazing. I'm really convinced that you're a prodigy.