Monday, January 18, 2010

Zila's new design

Unlike most artists, I think it's humbling to show just how much I suck at some things. Drawing animals, especially from my head, is one of those things among many.

I had realized I needed to drastically change Zila's design to be more unique and interesting to give FT a more unworldly feel to it, especially if she was going to be a more prominent figure in the story. SO I started sketching and, well, I can't believe I'm showing you these first ones 'cause they suck SOOO badly, but I think it's always interesting to see that no one is ever always good!


But anyway, it shows how I came to try and make her more 'real' and kept in mind that she is an animal of the snow. I just so happen to be watching Planet Earth during the snow leopard episode, and got inspired from that.

So here she is now, and I think I'm pretty happy with the result. I was most concerned with her movement to show power and elegance, while still being able to show her kind personality.


Deviation is here.
By the way, my number 1 resource for animal poses lies in this book:

Unfortunately, this book is now discontinued and incredibly rare. I saw it used for over 100 bucks on Amazon!! It is by far the most valuable book I own, and if you ever come across it for it's original or at least not-over-100 pricetag, BUY IT IMMEDIATELY! I rely on it for everything, and it's just like this series to discontinue their books that are the most helpful, go figure! lol

2 comments:

Kim said...

Wow...she changed a lot! I love it (especially your new banner) and I CANNOT WAIT for the rebirth of FT. I'm so glad that you've returned to this as I think it's a wonderful story. I can't believe how far you've come with your art. It's really, really incredible...

Allison said...

YAY I'm glad you like it, I was worried since it's so different! lol :D I'm happy I'm starting it again too...it feels so right. thank you so much~! <3

how did the director's pick go?